Tuesday 27 April 2010

Back to Sudan

Today we recieved the long awaited news that we are to head back to Sudan this Friday. Our scheduled return had been delayed three times and so news of a definite date was welcomed with scenes of unbridled joy by all on the SIM Sudan team. Except me of course...I don't really do unbridled joy...

The in between time has been filled with a fun, but ultimately ill judged, trip to Uganda where we spent the weekend on a paradise island on Lake Victoria, swam in the water, subsequently discovered that there is a high chance we contracted Bilharzia (by all accounts an unpleasant, but very treatable, tropical disease), ate Ugandan food cooked in banana leaves, and hired motorbikes to tour round the island.

This was probably the highlight, although you may question the wisdom of hiring three motorbikes when I was the only one who knew how to ride, and I've only been riding a couple of months. We survived though, with a couple of uncomfortable moments (Amy fell off, Peter went in a ditch, and in a moment of uncertainty I nearly ended up in a bush...) and by the end we were almost competent. It was definately the best way to get around there...

So now I have around 36 hours to get everthing I need gathered together before heading back in to Doro, where life will no doubt become more interesting again. As for how long I will spend there this time, it's all a bit up in the air at the moment, but I'm trusting God that it will work out for the best. It would seem that that's the only way to approach life out here.

As ever, I shall keep you posted as and when things unfold, and will take pictures of anything interesting that befalls me to make these posts more interesting. Unless I forget my camera of course, as has been known to happen.

Over and out...

1 comment: