Monday 12 July 2010

Departures...

This is my favourite picture of the team from Scotland, accompanied by Peter & Timo, and overlooked by John Maruti:


Sadly, they left on Friday and I am all on my lonesome again. On a happier note, my Malaria (or whatever it was) also departed on Friday and I am once again fighting fit. To celebrate I taught myself to weld.


All I can say is that it was more successful than I expected it to be. Although I did learn why you sould wear protective clothing while welding. As opposed to shorts and sandals. getting sparks of white hot metal in between your toes is even less fun than it sounds.

On Saturday night something happened that has never happened before. I got woken in the middle of the night to go and help out at the clinic. Rest assured, they did not bring me for my medical opinions, rather there had been a complete power failure at the clinic and they needed a back up supply to provide oxygen for a small boy.

This is the small boy, his name is Keywa and he's 4 years old, he was dying of cancer and they were trying to keep him alive long enough to fly him to Juba where he could receive some treatment:


He died on Sunday morning, which was pretty devestating for everyone involved. Poor wee guy never had a chance...stuck out in the middle of nowhere in the Sudanese bush.

It's a wonderful world...

No comments:

Post a Comment