Tuesday 23 March 2010

Beds...

A while back, you may remember that I mentioned I was going to start sleeping outside, due to the extreme heat. Well, shortly after that, I did get round to finding a bed, and a nice location between my house and the fence of our compound that allowed me to tie up my mosquito net:

(I went outside right now to take this picture, I hope you appreciate my efforts on your behalf).

Anyway, this has been an almost entirely positive step in my life. It's generally much cooler outside, and falling asleep under the stars is pretty amazing. It has however occured to me that there is, in theory at least, a greater chance that I may find something unwelcome in my bed (and by that I mean a snake or a spider, rather than a person - you'll notice in the picture that I have a fairly substantial stick of bamboo there, just in case).

Today, Nehemiah, our compound manager and general source of reliable information on all things Sudanese, said to me "you really should not put your bed so close to he fence, the snakes like to climb up there and jump across"

Now, it does strike me that this is a tad unlikely, however there is just enough uncertainty in my mind that I feel like I should heed his advice (despite last weeks heroiccs, I'm not sure I'm ready for dealing with a snake in my bed. I mean, would you be?). Problem is, I really cannot be bothered. I'll let you know how all that works out anyway, unless a snake gets me before I get the chance.

There haven't been many other incidents of note in the last week. Work is going well on the clinic (with the exception of one days work lost due to a lack of water), and life on the compound has got much quiter as 6 of our number left for Nairobi yesterday.

Tomorrow I have to lead a bible study with some Sudanese guys. There could be anything from 4 to 14 people there, and it's very different from doing a similar exercise with people in Scotland. This is a shame, as most of my experience in leading bible studies is with people from Scotland. Most of these guys are too young to remember anything but war, and many of them have the most unbelievable stories. I've really got no idea where to start...which is part of the reason I'm killing time by updating my blog. I'll try and keep you posted of what I learn form the experience

In a really rather random aside, most of the time I've been writing this, I've simultaneously been havin a conversation using Facebook chat with Amy, who stays in the tukul next to mine. I like to think that is a first for Sudan. It certainly is for me...

2 comments:

  1. Sleeping under those stars must be pretty class! I'm confused as to how snakes jump... do they have legs in Africa? Cause I think that makes it a lizard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hector....
    Not being an engineer the notion of Snakes Jumping intrigued me....here is the official anwser from WikiAnswers. I have always had always had a fear of snakes ingrained from childhood (by Gran), So err on the side of caution:

    Yes. Film captured in Singapore of a 'Dog-faced water snake' (Cerberus rynchops )by a crew for the BBC series 'Life in Cold Blood' clearly shows the animal leaping across mangrove mud using a kind of locomotion described as modified sidewinding. Before this, it was a commonly held belief by herpetologists that snakes could not jump. Some snakes, in the action of striking, may leave the ground for a brief moment, and flying snakes will 'jump' from a tree to glide to the ground but neither of these behaviour could truly be described as jumping.

    ReplyDelete