Friday 12 March 2010

Wildlife..

There isn't a whole lot of wildlife around here, in the classic african sense of giraffes, zebras and lions. There arent even any monkeys. Apparently they left during the war and haven't returned. I'm not sure how true that is though. Today I found, and killed, this guy. probably the biggest spider I've ever killed.


There have also been a couple of snake incidents in the last few days, but they weren't big enough to merit taking photos of (although I have learned that John is a mean shot when it comes to getting the ones in trees). Other than that there have been no animal sightings of note, apart from a rat in my tukul the toher night.

Tomorrow I'm heading on a road trip to a village up north (about 17 miles), should be an adventure. I'll take some pictures and let you know how it goes.

Other than that I dont have a whole lot to report this week. It is very hot, so hot that even the africans are compaining - I'm beginning to get used to being perpetually thirsty, and I think it may be time to think about sleeping outside. Also, I've managed to wander round the village and meet some of the locals which has been fun. Again, you get treated to surprising hospitality here, from people who othersie have very little. It's a little humbling.

However, I have yet again been struck by the curse of not being able to remember people's names, which is always detrimental to building relationships. I've had a few embarrassing moments on that front but I wont bore you with them here (partly because I cannot remember the names of those involved)...

Anyway, I'm off to find somewhere to put my bed...goodnight

1 comment:

  1. No monkeys!!>+?! What about that wee fella you had to chase out of your tent? Not appreciating the pics of spiders - you know how I feel about them, stick to the monkeys.

    ReplyDelete