Tuesday 14 September 2010

I had the time of my life...

Unlike last time, when a day off and a packet of drugs was enough to have me back fighting fit, this dose of malaria (despite my lack of medical knowledge I have decided that is definately what I had) was deeply unpleasant. I tried to fight it for a few days, you know the kind of thing, power through, keep working (at heights, despite the dizziness) but all this succeeded in doing was making things worse. To the extent that I spent the majority of my last day in Sudan lying under a tree feeling like crap.

We did have a visit from a plane that day, and as one of our number was flying off to the bright lights of Malakal I dragged myself out to say goodbye:


Now I know, my face bears a look somewhere between disgust and disdain, but I can assure you it was more just discomfort (mixed with a little disdain..towards whatever happened to be annoying me most at the time). On the way home, a journey that takes all of 5 minutes on foot, some of the local kids took pity on me and held my hand. On another day this might have been heartwarming but not today. All I could think was "If you give me some crazy tropical disease I'm coming back for you..."

Fortunately, I was able to make a bit of a recovery before I left. Even by the end of that day I was feeling strong enough to kill a chicken, a gift I'd recieved the previous day which we enjoyed for my farewell meal, an occasion followed by the chance for each member of our team here to say somehting nice about me. History has never known a longer or more awkward silence...

I'm kidding of course, everyone had something nice to say, and this time the heartwarming intentions worked a treat. There were even some tears, but not from me...I am a man after all...

And so, my friends, that's it. At 9am on Friday morning a plane arrived to whisk me away to Kenya for the last time, and it was all over.

I really did have the time of my life, for the most part. And I learned a good few valuable lessons..

I learned that managing a building project in Southern Sudan is far from a walk in the park, and leave with a strong sense of having unfinished business. This is probably mostly due to the fact that I do have unfinished business, with the new clinic building being in a state that is some way from readiness.

I learned that no matter how worthwhile the building project may be, it is not nearly as worthwhile as investing in the people in Mabaan county, and sharing the love and truth of Jesus with them. Probably my biggest regret is not being able to do that more. Whilst my biggest satisfaction comes from being able to a little bit...

I learned that no matter how hard I tried, and wanted, I could not become like one of them. it's impossible. I was routinely ashamed of how much stuff I had, and my life was all packed into a rucksack. Cant imagine how ashamed I'd be if they came to visit me in Scotland.

I learned that when people are struggling to survive the line between right and wrong becomes complicated. I repeatedly came up against things I would previously have said were wrong but when you understand where they were coming from you kinda understand. I'm glad God has perfect wisdom in arbitrating these things. I certainly don't...

I'm sure in time there will be a lot more to add to that list, but you'll have to ask me about that yourself, because you wont find it here. With my departure from Africa this evening I'm intending to mark the end of my blog. And so, my friends, until my next African adventure this is goodbye. May God bless you all...

5 comments:

  1. kev that last picture almost made me cry...
    wish i could have been there for your last few days, but am sorta glad i don't have to be left in doro now that you're gone. sorry about the malaria - that's a real crappy way to leave :S i hope you have awesome reunions at home :) talk to you soon? Katta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Kev. Scotland will be glad to have you back, but stinks for us left in Doro. Thanks for living out what God led you to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post Kev... So well written. I'm sorry that you left sick, but know that your whole journey you were made stong by the One who helps us in our weaknesses. I know for certain that there are at least 13 people who are richer because of your Doro days - and that doesn't even count the Khawadjias.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey this is SO amazing... I'm so happy to be able to share your experience in Africa via blogspot. I'll def be praying for you buddy... and looking forward to hearing back about the apartment in brooklyn. I got Malaria in Kenya... felt like the flu with a side of heartattack... so brother REST up. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I think you should know there are a group of people (from Sudan) using your name and this blogspot to scam people out of money who are looking for apartments in Brooklyn, NY I'm going to report the spam there but be aware.... The good news is that I'll now be praying for you and your trip.

    Col. 1:11-12

    ReplyDelete