Sunday 5 September 2010

Legacy...

And so it would seem my lasting legacy in Doro is to be represented by two things, at least in the eyes of my fellow missionaries here. First, a new dog proof fence for our compound:


My efforts concerning which bought me endless grace in my lack of pulling my weight in other more mundane chores.

Secondly, after over two years of functioning, the Doro clinic now (almost) has some toilets. I've been actively involved in this process from start (finding people to dig the holes - 4 m down in case you are interested) to finish, providing whatever expertise I deemed appropriate. Unfortunately, I didnt really know what I was doing...


On the day when we were preparing to pour the concrete for the floor, I was somewhat alarmed by the space left for the holes by Peter, our now lone Kenyan builder. When I suggested he make them a little bigger he duly obliged before letting me in on a national secret: "You know Kevin, in Kenya we are fearing to make the holes big because children fall into them" Can you imagine anything worse...? I don't think I can. Didnt stop me getting him to make them bigger though.

As for my legacy in the eyes of the Sudanese, that is somewhat more difficult to judge. I hope I've achieved more than just making them think I'm a nice guy...failing that I hope I've just made them think I'm a nice guy...

In other, equally fascinating, developments, I have made the fifth and final move of my time at Doro to the most basic abode yet, a grass house:


Or 'Kurnuk' as they are called here. I never thought I would view living in a mud hut as a luxury. This move is part of an overall effort by some of the team here to connect with the local community more effectively, a move which I wholeheartedly support. Or at least, I did wholeheartedly support until I got woken up at 7:30 this morning by a friend who was looking for some keys..."Hey Kevin, are you asleep?" Not any more.

That being said, there are positive aspects to living a bit more basically, not least the reduction in the shame I feel when I have Sudanese people in my house. Even the (relatively) little I brought out here with me now feels ludicrously extravagant. Lesson duly learned.

My time here is now painfully short, with a mere 4 days remaining. This is a fact that I am not savouring. And I'm trying to figure out just how exactly to 'end well'. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just tell people I'm going to be back sometime soon so they aren't too indignant with me. Actually, forget 'beginning to wonder', I've already done that with several people. Maybe now I'll have to make good my claim...

2 comments:

  1. Kev, don't sell yourself short! I know for a fact that you've also attached functioning wires to my fan (check mark for mundane tasks).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those clinic cho's are lookin' nice Kev - way to go! :) Right now I'm sitting in your 'homeland' (well... almost... London :S at least it's Britain) and was thinking about how you'll be coming through here rather soon... it's sorta strange. Observations that make me feel like I'm a bush girl: 1) everything is REALLY clean 2)you really could follow the signs and figure things out 3)there are a LOT of white faces 4) the breakfast bagle I just ate... was like 7-8$$ WOAH nelly! Anyway... praying for your last few days in the best place on earth :)

    ReplyDelete