Sunday 1 July 2012

Goodbye Doro...Again

So, tonight could be my last night in Doro, or it may not be, depending on how things pan out.  A plane is coming tomorrow to take a few of us out to Kenya, where I will reside until Saturday.   Whether it leaves Doro tomorrow or on Tuesday is a question that I do not yet know the answer to.  The most painful thing about this is that there is a chance I may never return...although I hope that is not the case.

Since I last wrote there has been a lot of working on various tasks, finishing the aforementioned windows, wiring electrics in a house (may God protect the first person to use that), and wandering around Doro and exploring the market here (it didn't exist when I was here).

Today was church in Doro (Where they do not ask you to preach at the drop of a hat), which was a blessed experience. A chance to greet my Mabaan friends one last time, and to greet the whole church.  Unfortunately I bottled out of attempting to do so in my rusty Arabic...

I am hugely thankful for the chance to come out here, to see old friends and be reminded of what things are like in the real world.  Probably the highlight has been the chance to spend time with two of my best friends in the last couple of days.  Yesterday, I managed to find Joseph - what a guy - and briefly catch up on what's been going on in our lives (and re-acclimatise to hand holding with other guys....).  This was followed by a visit to the nearest hospital to visit his 2 year old daughter, who is suffering from Pneumonia.  Which was a sobering experience.  When we said goodbye I promised him we'd meet again, a promise I hope I will be able to keep.

In case you're interested, my plan now is to go on an African adventure in Kenya once we arrive back, having been invited by Gilbert, our Kenyan builder, to visit him at his place.  A trip which should allow me to also see John Maruti, my erstwhile right hand man.  Ironically enough, the last thing he said to me back in September 2010 was "Don't worry Keveen, we will meet again".  At least it looks like there is one promise that will be kept...

And now I should go to bed, a prospect which has become about 90% less appealing since I heard that this afternoon's rain has soaked my mattress (apparently there's literally a pool of water on it) and my copy of My Utmost for His Highest, my bedtime reading...I love rainy season

No comments:

Post a Comment