Sunday 24 June 2012

Sunday

"This short guy is very strong".  So said  pastor James Haruun as he introduced me as the preacher at church this morning (I was ready for him this time).  Quite what he was basing this bold assertion on I'm not so sure, but it was certainly good to be back in Gasmalla and reunited with some more old friends.

Following our ten mile round trip walk to/from church I got the chance to spend some time indulging what is probably one of my favourite Sudanses pastimes: lying on a bed under a tree dosing in the afternoon sun.  It doesnt get much better than that...Indeed, some of my former teamates here have been known to speculate that I spent more time under a tree than I did doing any work.  Which is of course not true.

Anyway, that is all for today.  But before I go let me pose a question.  As a missionary, is it better to live life as much as possible in the same way as the  people you are among, trying to become like them so that you can relate to them better, or should we be showin them the way to develop their circumstances by setting a higher standard?  I used to be well and truly in the former category.  Now I'm not so sure.

Until next time, my friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment