Saturday 23 June 2012

Welcome Back

Today I did something I have never done before - walked through a refugee camp.  Then played volleyball in said refugee camp, using a combination of height advantage and goalkeeping prowess to help my team of missionaries to second place in a tournament we (I say we, I didnt really do much) had organised.  The term 'refugee camp has always conjoured up a particular image in my mind however (unsurprisingly) the reality was somewhat different.  It's kinda like a large village full of UNHCR standard issue tents.  I say a large village, a large village of several tens of thousands of people (I've yet to hear the same number quoted twice, what is certain is that it is a lot of people) where there were none before. It really is a dire situation, although I and my team-mates  were struck by the fact that almost everyone we saw was still smiling.  These people have a lot to teach us.

We arrived in Doro on Thursday afternoon, after a fairly lengthy journey.  Being back after being away for so long is a strange experience, a mixture of feeling like I was never away and being hit in the face by the start changes that have taken place since I left.

One thing that has not disappointed has been the chance to be reunited with my Sudanese friends.  It has been worth the journey just for that.  Already I have had more (semi-awkward) embraces from two me old enough to be my grandfather, simultaneously lamenting the fact that I am only here for a short time.  That coupled with the chance to catch up with my close friends as been the highlight of my week.  I've made a lot of promises to go and visit people that I may well struggle to keep!

Anyway, for now I must go, as someone is waiting to use the computer.  But rest assured I shall keep you posted with whats going on here, hopefully with some more profound insight than I have been able to offer here. 

However, in time honoured fashion I shall leave you with a sobering story.  Of the many good friends I left behind back in 2010, at least three have taken second wives.  This saddens me greatly as, for a Christian (which these guys are), this is the Sudanese equivalent of...well, something pretty bad (I'm not sure what comparison to draw).  Some of the guys in question were, to my mind, the least likely to go down this road however temptation has taken it;s toll.  Whch brings me back to my intial observation that I was quick to recount to anyone who would listen when I got home in September 2010.  Where are the people teaching the young men of this tribe to live as diciples of Jesus.  I'll tell you where they're not....here.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting, Kev! So glad that Sudan gets you again.... I'll continue praying for the team, church and discipleship there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the news from Doro - keep it coming!!

    ReplyDelete